“Like” me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter @AbbyDarkStar

ReBlog on Tumblr

Instagram

Watch Me

abby dark star cosplay

Photo: @Robbinsstudio Photo Edit: @sghphotoart

Abby Dark Star Interview

What was your first cosplay? Anita Blake!

When did you first get into cosplaying? My mom would say I’ve always been cosplaying. I used to create Poison Ivy costumes out of old bathingsuits and I’ve been in theater since Middle school. My first convention in costume was 07, I think?

What is your strongest skill when making your costumes? I’m a list maker, so when it comes to planning and management, I kick butt. I also have a talent for problem solving. “Ok- those boots have no straps. How do I make it work?” I’m also really good at eyeballing.

What is your favorite event that you have cosplayed at? I’ve cosplayed in so many great venues, but the ones that stand out for me are the smaller events. Like when I go read to kids as Belle at the library. Or go to hospital visits in Black Widow. Those moments where you can bring joy to a kid, those are my favorite events.

What inspires your costumes? I’m inspired by stories, by designs. I rarely will just choose a character without having an idea of who that character is. Sometimes designs attract my eye first, but then I’m not a fan of how the character acts. I’m inspired by the love of the fandoms we all circle in, by the challenge of making fantasy reality and the ability to express myself in these mediums.

What is your favorite costume that you have ever done? Every time I get interviewed, I get this question and it is really like asking a parent who their favorite child is. While at times you may have a clear favorite, each costume (and kid) has their own positive memories. They mean something at the point you are making them. Or maybe you met your spouse in them. Each of my costumes has a special meaning to it.

abby dark star

Photo: Photosnxs

What is the hardest part about being a cosplayer? I think the hardest part is dealing with peoples assumptions or perceptions. That if you cosplay, you are wealthy, or that if you do things online, that you don’t work hard. There are reasons why Social Media is a career path and posting, curating content on the internet across different social platforms takes a lot of time and effort. Add in the construction and testing of new costumes, it is a skill that is full of joy and frustration. I think the assumptions that you get shared on the internet and BOOM, a life of wealth and ease is a big one.

Is there a certain cosplayer that you look up to? I look up to a ton of cosplayer and prop makers. So many people I know have amazing talents and skills that I wish I had. Such as Bill Doran from Punished Props, Kamui Cosplay, Jessica Nigri (her work ethic is insane), God Save the Queen Fashions and more.

Are you currently working on any new cosplays? I’m working on the Sideshow version of Red Sonja!

Is there a certain area of entertainment where most of your costumes come from? (ex.  comics, video games, movies, anime etc) I take inspiration from great stories and design. Since I watch/read so many different areas of geek genre, it really doesn’t depend on the manner I discover something I want to make, but if I like the design and character.

What is your favorite TV show? Hm. That is a long list. Supernatural, Deadwood, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Battlestar Galactica…Star Trek: TNG..so many!

Do you play video games? If so, what are some of your favorites? Working in the game industry I get to play a lot of games. My all-time favorites are Assassin’s Creed, Halo, Little Big Planet, WoW, Folklore and Tetris.

abby dark star

In conjunction with Amalgam Studios
Photo By: Saffels Photography
Makeup By: Keaghlan Ashley- Makeup Your Mind
Latex costume: Vengeance Designs

What is your favorite movie? I have several. Movies are companions, and to be established as my favorite, means I can put it on whenever and watch it all the way through. “Young Victoria”, “Aliens”, and so many more apply.

What do you like to do for fun? I ride horses, I play music, I become one with my couch and binge watch Supernatural.

Do you have a favorite musician? I have several. I listen to everything from classical to “top hits”. It just depends on my mood. Right now, it is Lindsay Stirling.

What is your favorite meal? I love Asian food, so dim sum or anything like that!  

What is your favorite quote?  “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

Who is your celebrity crush? I’m married to him! 😉

Anything else you’d like to share with us? I’ll be heading to my first convention of 2016 on my birthday! Wizard World Portland! You can check out the rest of my schedule here:
http://www.keabtium.com/events-2/

abby dark star slave leia

Photo: SGH PhotoArt

1 Comment on Abby Dark Star – Cosplayer of the Week

1. I see interesting articles here. Your website
    can go viral easily, you need some initial traffic only.

How to get it? Search for: ricusso’s methods massive traffic

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Facebook
SiteLock